Friday, April 23, 2010

Killing Animals On My Behalf II

What I am about to say may be offensive to some so allow me to tell you I am going to talk about killing of animals without much detail. I do know that to some of you this would be injurious hence the warning. There will be no physical pictures but I am going to draw a verbal picture with a little humor I hope….







Waking up one morning in Cerca Carvajal, Haiti I was treated to breakfast. That morning we did not have the traditional spaghetti for breakfast it was more like cream of corn. It is a cream of wheat or farina type of food. All the while I was eating breakfast I was watching a chicken try to escape from being tied to a cement block in the kitchen. He was trying to scrape that thin rope off of himself, pecked at it and tried pulling the block away. All the time I am thinking to myself that “This chicken is sick and needs some medical attention”. He did not look healthy in any way but I quickly forgot him as breakfast ended.



Morning came and went as we visited the radio station, played with some kids and then at noon we sat down and had some vittles. A typical lunch for a guest visiting Haiti is going to be beans, rice and chicken. Sure enough that is what it was. Something was a little fishy as I sat down in the same seat I had sat in for breakfast. The view from the seat had changed, the chicken was missing.



I asked our hostess if the chicken was the same one I saw tied up to the block? Her response was “of course yes.” After taking a bite or two of chicken I said I did not believe her because this was very good chicken and what was tied up earlier looked sickly and thin. He did not look like he would have such good flavor. She smiled and looked back and said, “how can you tell what a chicken is going to taste like before you eat him”? No truer words were ever spoken. It was a delicious meal. The chicken who just hours before had been ugly was now a very fine meal.



If you had told me 10 years ago that I would someday be writing about chickens dieing on my behalf for lunch I would have told you that you were crazy. Life can throw some pitches you are not expecting. Are you ready for a change-up or a fast ball, a slider or a curve? Are you ready to follow where God is leading?

No comments: