Sunday, January 16, 2011

Run For Education

In 1998 I began working at a college in Louisville, KY. I had worked in higher education with students for about 10 years at that point and occasionally had students challenge me to racquetball matches, tennis matches, swim meets, one-on-one basketball, fishing derbies, and even a few boxing matches (with and without gloves);but no one ever suggested I could not run. I had run all of my life although not in races. In high school I played soccer and in college I played the position of center midfielder, on my Division one lacrosse team.

When those two college students challenged me to run the Louisville, KY Derby mini-marathon I thought 13.1 miles was impossible. They continued to encourage me during that cold January in 1999 to prepare me for the late April race. They encouraged me enough (read antagonized) to get me out there running.

That first mini-marathon was indeed a wonderful experience. I started running with those two girls and they left me in the dust. My running has come a long way since those early days. I am still competitive, but against myself and the hills.

This 30 of January I am going to run a different kind of race.

I am running and asking people to support me in buying educational supplies for kids in Haiti. I work with seven underfunded schools in Haiti… as if there are any fully-funded schools in Haiti. I am wanting to get these schools everything I can from chalk, chalk boards and erasers to paper to computers and lights.

You will see pictures of the kids receiving and using all of the items donated. So if you are wanting to give to work in Haiti but are leery of what is happening there you have my word and you will see the proof that 100% of your funds go toward school supplies. I am not spending anything on teachers salaries at this point but that may come in the future.

Will you sponsor me per mile, or per step, or per minute?! The choice is yours and the amount you donate is up to you.

Visit the "Run For Education" tab on my blog and learn more.

If you want to Run for Education please drop me a note and we can chat about how to do that.
So it does not matter if you are in Alaska or Maine you can help the children of Haiti, that is my word.
School supplies, God supplies!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi John, What you are doing in Haiti is amazing. I always promote education because I believe that after God, education is a key that opens many doors. I will be glad to drop my feet in the race.
May God bless you brother.
Danny